It might seem like inviting your small child to cook with you could create more Kitchen Nightmares than even Gordon Ramsey has experienced, but…
Here are just a few reasons why teaching kids to cook is a good thing:
- If kids contribute to the creation of a healthy meal they are more likely to eat it
- It’s a great activity to bond with with the kids in your life over
- Kids will develop a sense of pride over their contribution to a family meal
- Your kid is learning to cook – a vital skill that you can foster while they grow up and will set them up for a lifetime of healthy eating
- Your kid will be educated about different foods, what they are and where they come from.
All kids know what ketchup is, but do they know that a tomato is what’s used to make it? Check out this video from Jamie Oliver’s food Revolution showing 6 year old children in the US who are unable to identify common vegetables like tomatoes.
Ready, Steady – Cook!
Find a recipe that your whole family will enjoy. Or better yet, involve your kid and ask them what you should cook together. Maybe there’s a family.